List of licensing bodies for regulated professions in Canada

Is your profession regulated in Canada? If so, your international education may not be enough to start practising in your field here once you immigrate. Many professions, from health care to teaching to trades are regulated in Canada, meaning you will need to be certified to practise here. Depending on what your international credentials are, you may have to relicense, which would entail further studies, examinations and/or practicums.

Here below is a resource list of the most common licensed professions and their related licensing or regulatory bodies.

Generally speaking, licensing bodies usually have an overarching national association, but licensing requirements are usually provincially based, so you’ll have to relicense with the provincial body, depending on which province or territory of Canada you make your new home.

Note also that the relicensing process isn’t always the same in each province so certification in one province might not be automatically transferable to another, depending on the industry.

There are also a few organizations that offer a foreign credentials assessment service, where you can get more information on how transferable your international credentials are. But if you know your profession is licensed and you know which provincial regulatory body to go to, then going straight to them for more information first is often best.

READ MORE: Many colleges and universities or regulatory bodies offer immigrant bridging programs for several professions as well. Here’s a list of bridging programs.

List of licensing bodies for regulated professions in Canada


Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA) or CPA Canada is the national organization established to support a unified Canadian accounting profession, amalgamating Canada’s previous CA, CGA and CMA designations.

If you’re an internationally trained accountant, you can contact the CPA licensing body in your province to find out how you can become licensed as a CPA in Canada. Note the CPA designation is different from CPA designations in the U.S. and other countries.

Provincial/territorial accounting bodies

CPA Alberta

CPA British Columbia

CPA Manitoba

CPA Ontario

CPA New Brunswick

CPA Newfoundland and Labrador

CPA Northwest Territories and Nunavut

CPA Nova Scotia

CPA Prince Edward Island

CPA Quebec

CPA Saskatchewan

CPA Yukon


Canadian Architectural Certification Board is the national certification board of the architecture profession. It offers useful information for internationally trained professionals as part of its Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect Program (BEFA).

Provincial/territorial architectural bodies

CACB Alberta

CACB British Columbia

CACB Manitoba

CACB New Brunswick

CACB Newfoundland and Labrador

CACB Northwest Territories and Nunavut

CACB Nova Scotia

CACB Ontario

Ontario Association of Architects (OAA)


CACB Quebec

CACB Saskatchewan


Dental licensure is a provincial responsibility in Canada. Each province/territory has a dental regulatory authority/licensing body that establishes regulations and requirements for the licensure of general practitioners within their jurisdiction. But like other professions, it has overarching national organizations where you can find more information, including Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada and National Dental Examining Board of Canada.

Provincial/territorial dentistry bodies

Alberta Dental Association and College

College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia

Manitoba Dental Association

New Brunswick Dental Society

Newfoundland & Labrador Dental Board

Northwest Territories & Nunavut Dental Association

Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia

Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario

Dental Council of Prince Edward Island

Ordre des dentistes du Québec

College of Dental Surgeons of Saskatchewan

Yukon Dental Association


Dietitians must register with the provincial regulatory body in order to practice. The regulatory body will assess your academic and practicum experience to determine eligibility. In most provinces, the national Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination (CDRE) is a requirement for registration once academic and practicum requirements have been met. The CDRE is administered by the provincial regulatory bodies listed below. Learn more also at of Dieticians of Canada.

Provincial/territorial dietician bodies

College of Dietitians of Alberta

College of Dietitians of British Columbia

College of Dietitians of Manitoba

New Brunswick Association of Dietitians

Newfoundland and Labrador College of Dietitians

Nova Scotia Dietetic Association

College of Dietitians of Ontario

Ordre professionnel des diététistes du Québec

PEI Dietitians Registration Board

Saskatchewan Dietitians Association


All postgraduate residents and all practising physicians must hold an educational or practice licence from the medical regulatory authority in the province or territory where they study or practise.

Provincial/territorial regulatory bodies for doctors/physicians

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta

College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba

College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland & Labrador

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario

Collège des médecins du Québec

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan

Yukon Medical Council

Health and Social Services – Government of the Northwest Territories

Department of Health and Social Services – Government of Nunavut

Early Childhood Education (ECE)

Each of Canada’s jurisdictions has several different programs for child care and early childhood education. There are regulations in place for the delivery of services in each province and territory in Canada.

Provincial regulatory ECE bodies

Government of British Columbia

Association of Early Childhood Educators of Alberta

Manitoba Family Services and Labour

College of Early Childhood Educators (CECE) Ontario

Government of New Brunswick

Government of Nova Scotia

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador


To be a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada, you need to become licensed by a Canadian provincial or territorial engineering association. You can still work in engineering before being licensed if you are supervised by a professional engineer (P.Eng.)

Provincial/territorial engineering bodies

Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta

Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia

Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba

Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists

Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario

Professional Engineers Ontario

Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan

Engineers Nova Scotia

Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador

Engineers and Geoscientists New Brunswick

Engineers PEI

Order de ingenieurs du Quebec

Human Resources

To become a human resources professional, a degree, diploma or certificate in a field related to human resources management or a related field such as business management, commerce, etc, is required. The Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation is believed to be an asset by employers, but it’s not technically a requirement to work in HR. In Ontario, HR professionals have the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) designation instead.

Provincial/territorial HR bodies

CPHR Alberta

CPHR British Columbia and Yukon

CPHR Manitoba

CPHR New Brunswick

CPHR Newfoundland and Labrador

CPHR Nova Scotia

Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario

Information Technology

Canada has a booming tech industry with jobs in software development, data analysis and other related areas. Bodies like Canada’s Association of Information Technology Professionals (CIPS) are responsible for the regulation of IT professionals.

Provincial/territorial IT bodies

CIPS Alberta

CIPS British Columbia

CIPS Saskatchewan

CIPS Manitoba

Information and Communication Technologies Association of Manitoba

CIPS Quebec

CIPS Nova Scotia

CIPS Newfoundland and Labrador


Founded in 1972, the Federation of Law Societies of Canada was established to primarily uphold the laws of the country without any prejudice. The federation covers Canada’s 14 provincial and territorial law societies in collective practice and implementation entirely independent from the Canadian government. Learn more at National Committee on Accreditation.

Provincial/territorial law societies

Law Society of Alberta

Law Society of British Columbia

Law Society of Manitoba

The Law Society of Ontario

Law Society of New Brunswick

Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society

Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador

Barreau du Quebec

Law Society of Prince Edward Island

Chambre des notaires du Quebec

Law Society of Saskatchewan

Law Society of Yukon

Law Society of Northwest Territories

Law Society of Nunavut


Nurses in Canada educate, perform research-based scientific care and are the patient’s advocate on health, illness and disease. There are different levels of nurses from licensed practical nurses, to registered nurses. Learn more at Canadian Nurses Association.

Provincial/territorial nursing bodies

College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta

College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia

College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba

College of Nurses of Ontario

College of Nurses of Quebec

College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia


Midwifery is recognized as a legal and regulated profession in most Canadian provinces and territories. Midwives must be registered with the regulatory authority in the province or territory in order to work legally. Learn more at Canadian Midwifery Regulators Council.

Provincial/territorial midwifery societies

College of Midwives of Alberta

College of Midwives of British Columbia

College of Midwives of Manitoba

Midwifery Regulatory Council of Nova Scotia

Midwifery Council of New Brunswick

Northwest Territoties Health Professional Licensing (Midwifery)

College of Midwives of Ontario

Ordre Des Sages-Femmes du Quebec

Saskatchewan College of Midwives

Occupational Therapy

Occupational therapists treat injured, ill or disabled patients through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. The Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) is the national organization that supports the more than 17,000 occupational therapists (OTs) who work or study in Canada.

Provincial/territorial occupational therapists societies

Alberta College of Occupational Therapists

CAOT British Columbia

College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba

College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario

New Brunswick Association of Occupational Therapists

Newfoundland & Labrador Occupational Therapy Board

College of Occupational Therapists of Nova Scotia

PEI College of Occupational Therapists

CAOT Quebec

Sasakatchewan Society of Occupational Therapists

Social Work

Social work regulatory boards generally require that social work degrees must be obtained from programs of social work that are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE), or other nationally recognized accrediting agencies. Degrees earned outside the U.S. and Canada must be determined to be equivalent. One widely used equivalency service is the CSWE International Social Work Degree Recognition and Equivalency Service ([email protected]).

Provincial/territorial social work boards

Alberta College of Social Workers

British Columbia College of Social Workers

Manitoba College of Social Workers

New Brunswick Association of Social Workers

Newfoundland & Labrador Association of Social Workers

Nova Scotia College of Social Workers

Ontario College of Social Workers & Social Service Workers

PEI Social Work Registration Board

Order of Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists of Quebec

Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers

Yukon, Northwest and Nunavut Territories


Currently in most jurisdictions in Canada, the basic requirement to enter the teaching profession is the successful completion of Grade 12 and four additional years of post-secondary education as well as at least one year of professional studies in teacher education. Since there are variations to this basic requirement, candidates should directly contact the relevant certification agency in the province where they wish to teach.

Provincial/territorial teaching bodies

Certification of Teachers Regulation (Alberta)

Teacher Regulation Branch of the BC Ministry of Education (formerly known as the British Columbia College of Teachers)

Teaching Certificates and Qualifications Regulation (Manitoba)

Teacher Certification (Newfoundland & Labrador)

Ontario College of Teachers

New Brunswick Teachers’ Association

Teacher Certification (Nova Scotia)

Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (PEI)

Teacher Certification (Saskatchewan)



Each province has bodies that govern specific trades professions. There are quite a few differences across the country, so check the websites of the province where you live for more information on apprenticeships, certification and qualification criteria for various trades.

Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training

Industry Training Authority (ITA) British Columbia

Apprenticeship Manitoba

Post Secondary Education, Training and Labour (New Brunswick)

Advanced Education, Skills and Labour (Newfoundland & Labrador

Apprenticeship and Trades (Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency

Apprenticeship, Trade and Occupations Certification (Nunavut)

Ontario trades

Apprenticeship Training and Skilled Trade Certification (PEI)

Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission

Yukon trades

Romanian-born veterinarian Marius Vasilescu. Photo by Sandra Minarik

Veterinary Medicine

In Canada, licensing for veterinary medicine is the responsibility of the provincial veterinary association or a separate licensing body empowered by provincial legislation. The general requirements to practise veterinary medicine are similar but specific requirements differ from province to province. The websites of the licensing bodies in each of the 10 provinces and territories are listed below.

Provincial/territorial veterinary bodies

Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA)

College of Veterinarians of British Columbia

The College of Veterinarians of Ontario

Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association

New Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association

Newfoundland and Labrador College of Veterinarians

Health and Social Services (Northwest Territories)

Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association

Order des Medicins Veterinaires du Quebec

Saskatchewan Veterinary Medical Association


The above is not an exhaustive list of all regulated professions and licensing bodies. If you have an update for us, please email [email protected].