Job Search Tips: Staying Motivated
When you set out on your job search, it’s rarely possible to guess how long it will go on for. As time passes, the rejections mount up and the budgets get tighter, it’s easy to become disheartened. However, this is exactly the time when you need to dust yourself off and put in more hard work than ever. One of the main attributes of a successful job seeker is persistence. You should also do all that you can to stay positive. Once you have found your dream job you will find that your job search was a rewarding experience that taught you a great deal. Here are a few tips to help you stay motivated.
Have a job search plan
- Set up your job search as a routine
- Check niche sites, search social media, ﬁnd companies and groups related to your career goals
- Exercise is key for stress relief
- Find a type that works for you and commit to get active EVERYDAY
- Find trusted friends who will mentor you, give you advice, and support you through your search
- Engage in activities that help you to stay hopeful
- Set a goal to meet 2 new people or attend 2 networking events every week
- Use virtual introduc1ons to connect you to people doing the work you are interested in. Set up a mee1ng to learn more about how they got there
Keep an eye on the horizon
- Describe your dream employer
- Decide what the next 5 years of your career will look like
- Perfect your resume and cover letter
- Aim for 2-3 applica1ons per week
- Use ALL the keywords the job description indicates
- Explain how you will meet the needs that the company has
- Practice gratitude Look for something to celebrate every day and actually FEEL the emotion of gratitude
- The more 1me you can spend in a positive emotional state, the more poised you are to see opportuni1es as they arise
Check out the Canadian Workplace course suite and get the skills you need to create the career you want.
Marie Gervais, PhD, CEO Shift Management is a business-to-business entrepreneur who specializes in helping employers train their middle management to lead, get their workplace learning online and interactive, and conduct team assessments to figure out who to promote and how. She has a background in integrating internationally-trained individuals to the workplace and has supported many businesses in their efforts to hire, retain, support and promote immigrant and diverse employees.
Get in touch – she would love to hear from you: [email protected]